Thursday, September 08, 2005

Chronicles of Awesome vol. 2: Shameless promotion

OMG1!1!!!!!!one!!!11!: Events in Basra, yesterday

Now, it's not my style to promote other websites, even more so when I'm not being paid for it. I will make an exception in this case and heap my 'props' upon Last.fm
If you're not in the know I'm going to let you know.
So I'm at a college right now that thoughtfully prevents me from downloading shit off teh Interweb. This was brutally rubbed in my face the other day when Campus Security arrived to have a little word with my housemate for downloading Battlefield 2, leading to his interweb access being curtailed for a week. Now, to be fair I'd been downloading stuff for about a week, but I guess security only takes an interest when a game could be used to train terrorists to drop artillery strikes on their own heads and insult each others' sexuality via team chat (which would more than double Al-Qaeda's effectiveness as a fighting force). Last.fm lets you, or more accurately me, upload the names of tracks you've (I've) been listening to on Winamp or -snigger- Media Player so Last.fm can upload it into their database, cross reference it with other artists and then stream Bloc Party songs regardless of what music you listen to. For instance, here's my user profile, top artist is Pig Destroyerfollowed by David Cross, cLOUDDEAD, Atari Teenage Riot and various others. The Last.fm 'recommended artists' thingy has so far bought up Wilco and Bloc-Bastard-Fucking-Circle-Jerk-Wankoff-Party. I've got a sneaking suspiscion that their recommendations database is actually some dude from NME wired up to the Internet and capable of generation 2.5 million bloodless, soulless 'Indie' rock bands per week.
Besides all that, Last.fm is actually pretty okay (it has just this second redeemed itself in my eyes by playing 'Up Against the Wall' by the Icarus Line). It's free so if like me you live under the constant surviellence of campus IT administrators and copyright-lawsuit happy lawyers then give a go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home