Monday, June 13, 2005

Perhaps you had better start at the beggining

Okay. Let's do this thing.

The music playing is Astro Creep 2000 by White Zombie.
It's 4.43pm and out my window I can see two trees, a hedge, and another person's house. The house is on Gainsborough road, one step up the estate's hierarchy. Moving there, or even further into Blackberry Lane, means you've transitioned from Middle Class to Upper Middle class. It's sunny, the sky is blue streaked with jet plane exhaust. Elmore Leonard says not to open a story with the weather.

I've signed up to this blog primarily to keep my friends informed while I'm off around the world doing what little I do. Whether it evolves into something different or better is entirely up to me. Maybe you'll get some pictures, maybe music, a short story or two. I've decided to allow feedback, though I'm sure it will be mainly 13-year-old kids from Nebraska posting textshite like 'OMG UR such a fag!!!11!!1!!!! ROFL!!!11!!!!!', as is their heathen custom.

The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is constant, but nowadays the illiterates can read' - Alberto Moravia.
The (or, in accordance with interweb custom 'tEH') first order of business is for me to accept ideas from you, the public, on what I'm supposed to do. So, I want items to review (books, albums, movies, haircuts, countries, your wardrobe, potential sex partners etc.). All items, regardless of form or context, will be judged along the lines of Availability, Graphics, Sound and Gameplay, followed by an Overall. It is with this in mind that I present my first review:

Logical Positivism.

Availabiltiy

In a word: Poor. The Logical Positivist school of philosophy was originally formulated by the Vienna circle, who met on a weekly basis between 1922 and 1936. This meant that I was unable to find a copy to rent at Blockbusters.
This recording I made of the conversation between myself and a Blockbusters employee should shed some light on the appalling absence of Logical Positivism from even the most well stocked rental chains.
"Excuse me, I'm looking for Logical Positivism."
"It's not on the shelves."
"No, it's a formulation of the Vienna school that holds that philosophy should aspire to the same rigor as science."
"Okay. Right. Who's in it?"
"A.J Ayer."
"Right. Have you looked in documentaries?"
I gave the employee a ten pound note for his trouble. As a rule I tip at 15%, but as our conversation neither contained nor warranted an economic transaction, I was forced to wing it.
Unable to find Logical Positivism on the shelves, I settled for a copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Graphics

Logical Positivism uses essentially the same Grpahics engine as its predecessors, GTA Vice City and GTA3. While hardly spectacular they do a good job of rendering the grafitti encrusted streets of Los Santos and the jaw-dropping neon vistas of Las Venturas. Pop-up becomes a problem, especially during the flght sections where the engine is forced to render a large number of objects.

Sound

Spectacular. As with most European philosophical schools, Logical Positivism features multiple radio stations (Radio Los Santos for Gangsta rap, SFUR for German techno) with frequently hilarious radio banter. News reports of your actions heighten the authenticity, and really give a sense that only verifiable statements can be considered meaningful.

Gameplay

This was confusing.
Logical Positivism casts the player as 'CJ', a retired gang-banger who returns to Los Santos after his mother's untimely death. The plot is epic in scale, and a simple paragrpah could never do it justice. Throughout the game CJ will have to battle with corrupt cops, Latino mobsters, Triads and presumably in later levels Karl Poppers 1934 book Logik der Forschung, though I was unable to get past a quad-bike chase with hoods who I believe were Rudolph Carnap and Otto Neurath.

Overall

A statement can be said to be verifiable only if truth can be conclusively established, also the prostitutes rarely put up a fight while I beat them to death with a golf club on a busy street in broad daylight. Hopefully this will be fixed by the PC version.

Final Score: Kevin Spacey